We are now into our 4th year, charging ahead into Batch#4 of Iron Brewer®! Similar concept as Iron Chef or the Iron Man Triathalon which features unique events/ingredients combined into 1 unique competition. The concept is simple, there will be 3 unique ingredients and you’ll need to combine them into a one of a kind, unique, and most importantly, delicious homebrew.
Does this interest you? If you’re a homebrewer, it should. It is a heck of a lot of fun; just ask the folks who have competed before!
Email Iron Brewer if you have questions, otherwise use the “Sign up for Iron Brewer” form to the right to be notified of the next entry opportunity.
IRON BREWER® BATCH #4 RULES
Iron Brewer® is a homebrewing competition; homebrewers are given a list of 3 ingredients that must be used to brew a unique, creative, and delicious beer that showcases the ingredients.
- Brewers have eight weeks to brew a beer. Beer must be received by the specified delivery date or the entry and entry fee will be forfeited.
- Only homebrewed beer is allowed. No wines, gruits, ciders, or meads are allowed. No commercial beer or beer brewed at a commercial brewery is allowed.
- The beer must contain all 3 of the required ingredients. The brewer is responsible for purchasing all ingredients; no ingredients will be provided.
- In addition to the 3 required ingredients, the beer may include any other ingredients at the homebrewer’s discretion. However, the beers will be judged on how well they showcase the 3 required ingredients.
- For the Preliminary Round, brewers should submit 2 12 oz bottles. Bottles must be free of labels or markings. Bottles must have entry labels attached with a rubber band. Bottles not meeting these requirements will be disqualified from the competition.
- All entries must be accompanied with the complete recipe used to brew the entry. By submitting an entry, you give Iron Brewer® the right to publish the recipe on IronBrewer.com. Entries without a recipe will be disqualified from the competition.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- The 3 required ingredients will be announced at the start of the signup period. The signup period will last for 5 days or until all slots are filled, whichever comes first. The Championship Round will have a new set of 3 ingredients and follow the same brewing rules as the Preliminary Round.
- There will be 2 rounds in Iron Brewer® Batch#4,
- The Preliminary Round will determine the 6 brewers who will compete in the Iron Brewer® Championship Round. Brewers in the Preliminary Round will only be shipping beers to Iron Brewer headquarters in Montclair, NJ.
- The Championship Round will include the 6 top scoring brewers from the preliminary round plus the defending Iron Brewer® (Batch#3 winner). Brewers in the Championship Round will be shipping beers to the Iron Brewer headquarters as well as to the other participants in the Championship Round.
- Participants in the Championship Round are expected to participate in to a live Internet radio tasting, from their home location to determine the Batch#4 Iron Brewer®.
- The entry fee is $10, payable via PayPal. The entry fee is NON-REFUNDABLE.
Beer experts, selected by Iron Brewer®, will serve as judges. In the Preliminary Round, the judges’ scores will account for 100% of a brewer’s score. In the Championship Round, the judges’ score will account for 75% of a brewer’s final score. The remaining 25% will come from the other brewers in the Championship Round during the live tasting.
- Prizes donated by batch sponsors.
- Micro Matic (http://micro-matic.com)
- Midwest Homebrewing Supplies (http://midwestsupplies.com)
- The entry fee will be split as follows:
- Preliminary Round winners 5% (x6 winners)
- 1st Place Championship Round 40%
- 2nd Place Championship Round 10%
- As an example if there are 60 total entries
Preliminary (600 * .05) = $30 per Top 6 Total = $180
Championship Round 1st Place (600 * .40) = $240
Championship Round 2nd Place (600 * .10) = $60
- Prizes donated by batch sponsors.
- All entries judged will receive written feedback via email.
- Competition is open to all homebrewers in the continental United States. Due to shipping costs for Championship Round, entries from Alaska, Hawaii, and all other countries, will not be accepted.
- The previous batch’s Iron Brewer® Champion will be invited back to defend his/her title in the Championship Round without having to participate in the Preliminary Round.
Packing and Shipping Warning:
It is your responsibility to adequately pack and ship your entries to the correct Judging Center and have them arrive intact. Carefully pack your entries in a sturdy box. Line the inside of your package with a plastic trash bag. Partition and pack each bottle with adequate packaging material. Please refrain from using packing “peanuts” if possible; use bubble wrap or newspaper instead. The Judging Centers make efforts to recycle packaging material whenever possible. Do not over pack!
Read “How to Pack Your Beer,” a downloadable PDF file from Zymurgy Spring 1991 (Vol. 14, No. 1) for excellent advice on how to save time and money, and avoid broken bottles.
It is not against any federal laws to ship your entries via a privately-owned shipping company for analytical purposes. However, IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES VIA THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE. Private shipping carrier rules and regulations concerning the shipment of beer or alcoholic beverages vary. We strongly encourage you to check with your shipping carrier prior to shipping your entry.
The Iron Brewer Logo is the registered trademark of Simply Beer LLC. The Logo may not be reproduced by any means or in any form whatsoever without written permission. The Logo represents Iron Brewer and therefore we rarely give permission to anyone to reproduce it.
The words “Iron Brewer®” are the registered trademark of Simply Beer LLC. The “registered” mark ® must be included when using the words “Iron Brewer®” with the statement at the bottom of the page that “Iron Brewer®” is the registered trademark of Simply Beer LLC.” This is needed to protect the integrity of the “Iron Brewer®” brand.